Recycle Ann Arbor is contracted by the City of Ann Arbor to collect recyclables weekly at the curb from City of Ann Arbor residents, in a single-stream collection system.
Single-stream recycling allows all recyclables to be placed into one recycling bin without separating papers from containers. Single-stream recycling is easy and convenient, which encourages residents to recycle the most materials possible.
The City of Ann Arbor’s single-stream recycling system allows a wide variety of materials to be collected and recycled.
Acceptable materials include:
- Plastic bottles and tubs
- Plastic caps acceptable if screwed tight onto bottle
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- Labels may be left on
- Metal cans and foil
- Ball up aluminum foil
- Mixed paper (newspaper, magazines, junk mail, office paper)
- Boxboard & cardboard
- Please empty and flatten
- Cartons (i.e. broth & milk cartons)
- Look for "Aseptic" on the bottom of container
- Visit the Carton Council's website to learn more!
Tips for Single-Stream Recycling
- Review our Guide to Better Recycling to avoid the top 12 contaminants we see in the recycling carts.
- Carts must be out before 7 AM for pickup.
- All items must be empty and clean.
- Everything, including cardboard, must fit inside the cart with the lid closed, and the lid may not be secured shut.
- Place shredded paper in clear, sealed plastic bags.
- Place cart with metal lift bar facing the street.