Winter Recycling Service Readiness 2018
Winter is on its way and we know that while you may be planning to spend some extra time indoors, you will still need to venture to the curb to set out your solid waste carts. Here are some tips to ensure that your recycling still gets picked up during inclement weather. These tips apply to residential and commercial solid waste areas.
- All dumpsters and carts must be clear of ice and snow.
- All solid waste container locations must be shoveled, cleared of snow and ice, and salt/dirt mix used to ensure safe accessibility for all service trucks and workers in order for them to service your recycling and trash containers, whether it be dumpsters or carts. Please note that unserviced areas could result in a City Community Standards violation and fine.
- Please remove carts from streets, driveways, and parking lots in order that they can be plowed.
- Be sure that the lid to your dumpster or cart remains closed at all times. This will help prevent material from freezing inside carts. Containers cannot be serviced if they exceed the truck’s arm “weight capacity”.
- Refrain from placing bagged or flattened materials in front of, next to, or on top of all solid waste containers. Service providers will not be able to access and service your solid waste containers.
- All curbside solid waste carts should be:
- Put out the night before your service day (recommended), or on your designated service day by 7 am for residents and 6 am for businesses.
- Place carts 3 ft apart from other carts and obstacles with the steel bar and lid facing the street.
- Place carts in a uniform line; no staggering carts behind each other.
- Place carts on a cleared street or driveway; or shovel a shelf (1 inch from ground level) into the street side of snow banks to ensure service of carts. Please refrain from placing carts on top of snow banks.
- For more information about cart preparation and placement, please see page 7 of the City of Ann Arbor’s Waste Watcher.
Please be aware of the following dates that there will not be service:
- Tuesday, December 25th. Tues. - Fri. routes will be on a one day delay, with routes occuring on Weds. Dec 26th - Sat. Dec 29th instead.
- Tuesday, January 1st. Tues. - Fri. routes will be on a one day delay, with routes occuring on Weds. Jan 2nd - Sat. Jan 5th instead.
We appreciate your extra attention to your curbside recyclables during winter and your dedication to reducing the amount of waste headed to the landfill. Keep in mind that both Recycle Ann Arbor’s Drop Off Station and the Recovery Yard accept a broader list of materials for drop off recycling. For a complete list of materials accepted at each location along with hours of operation check out the handy A-Z Recycling Guide.